STM PALS: Parent-Recommended Resources
Initial Guidance, Before Diagnosis:
- Educate yourself – to recognize signs and symptoms of learning differences.
- Communicate with your child’s teacher and a Learning Specialist – to fully understand your child’s observed behavior and performance in the classroom and at school.
- Check with your public school district – to determine if your family is eligible to take advantage of any special education resources and learn procedures for obtaining that support.
- Seek professional evaluations – to rule out physical impairments (such as a vision or hearing problem), identify whether or not a learning difference exists, and begin to formulate an appropriate action plan for home and at school.
We Found These Helpful, After Diagnosis!
- “Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain” – by Daniel J. Siegel MD
- “Dyslexia is my Superpower (Most of the Time)” – by Margaret Rooke
- “Finally Focused: The Breakthrough Natural Treatment Plan for ADHD That Restores Attention,
Minimizes Hyperactivity, and Helps Eliminate Drug Side Effects” – by James Greenblatt M.D. and Bill Gottlieb CHC
- “The Illustrated Guide to Dyslexia and It’s Amazing People” – by Kate Power and Kathy Iwanczak Forsyth
- “The Impulsive, Disorganized Child: Solutions for Parenting Kids with Executive Functioning Difficulties” – by James Forgan Ph.D. and Mary Anne Richey
- “Looking for Heroes: One Boy, One Year, 100 Letters” – by Aidan Colvin
- “The Self-Driven Child: The Science and Sense of Giving Your Kids More Control Over Their Lives” – by William Stixrud and Ned Johnson
- “Take Control of Dyslexia and Other Reading Difficulties: The Ultimate Guide for Kids” – by Janet Price
and Jennifer Engel Fisher
- “We’ve Got Issues: Children and Parents in the Age of Medication” – by Judith Warner
- “ADDitude: Strategies anti Support for ADHD & LD” – published by New Hope Media LLC
- https://results-learning.com – Results Learning: Executive Functioning Skills Coaching (Planning and
prioritization, Organizational skills, Study Skills/Working Memory, Time Management, Self-Advocacy)
- https://www.straphaelcounseling.com – Saint Raphael Counseling: Learning Differences Assessments &
- https://www.spdstar.org/ – STAR Institute for Sensory Processing Disorder
- https://strategic-evaluations.com – Strategic Evaluations (Mary Stall, PsyD & Mary Beth O’Hagan PhD)
- https://studyskills.com – SOAR (Study Skills by Susan Kruger)
- http://www.cde.state.co.us/coloradoliteracy/dyslexia – Colorado Dyslexia, CDE
- http://www.chadd.org – CHADD (The National Resource on ADHD)
- https://dyslexiaida.org – International Dyslexia Association #8211; …until everyone can read!
- http://headstrongnation.org – Headstrong Nation
- https://www.understood.org/en – Understood (for learning & attention issues)